This report creates a collection of XML files contained in a zip file that can be sent to the ministry to request Ontario Education Numbers (OEN) for students that do not have them. The results files provided by the ministry can be subsequently imported into PowerSchool.
Subject to the “Current Selection Students” parameter described below, a student is included in the file if:
- The “Exclude From Provincial Reporting Flag” is not set for the student.
- The student's OEN is blank.
- The student is enrolled between the specified start and end dates. The student is excluded if he/she is a "no show" - i.e. if the student's exit code is "NS" or if the exit date is on or before the entry date in the enrolment record causing the student to be selected.
- The student is enrolled in a selected school (see below for school selection).
A student is excluded from the report if any of the following fields is blank or undefined:
- both [Students]First_Name and [S_ON_STU_X]Legal_First_Name
- both [Students]Last_Name and [S_ON_STU_X]Legal_Last_Name
A student is excluded from the report if the attendance type (EnrollmentType field) is EX (excluded) for all enrolments and the associated Students or ReEnrollments record in whole or in part is within the specified reporting date range, i.e., if there is any overlap between the enrolment start and end dates and the specified start and end dates.
To allow this report to be run at the District Office, a selection of schools may be made. This allows for the following:
When run at a District Level
- A list of all schools within PowerSchool will display in a multi-select box.
- If Multiple School option is used, a limit of 999 schools is set. To run for more schools, Use the All School option.
- School selection excludes Closed Schools and Schools Excluded from State Reporting.
- When run from a school level, the default selection is Current School Only.
- Reports within the zip file will be named:
- The user may select any schools. The report will look for students within the selected schools only that match the criteria for inclusion.
- The user may choose to have the data merge into a single file, by selecting ‘Include all data in one file’. This will create a single file that contains data (versus creating a file for each school).
- The user may or may not select the school, the result will be the same: the report will only look for students within the current school that match the criteria for inclusion.
- FILEID-XXXXXX.xml, where FILEID is the value entered in File ID by the user at report setup and XXXXXX is the school’s board ID, if the report is run at the District Office and single file is not selected.
- FILEID.xml, where FILEID is the value entered in File ID by the user at report setup (if generated at the District Office and single file is selected or if generated at a specific school).
For help with navigation and running the report, see How to Find and Generate a Report.
Current Selection Students
Indicate which students to include in the report by selecting one of the following options:
Note: If running the report for a single student, or group of students, select the students prior to running report.
Default is “All Students”.
The value entered here will be returned in the ministry result file and can be used to link the result file with the associated request file. The File ID will be used to name the resulting zip file containing the xml files.
Only students who are active between this date and the specified end date are included. Required. No default value is set.
Only students who are active between this date and the specified start date are included. Required. No default value is set.
When run from district, choose one of the following:
When run from a school level, the default selection Current School Only
Include all data in one file
Check if a single report file is desired:
The resulting request file is named FILEID.zip, which contains files: a) FILEID-XXXXXX.xml for each school (where XXXXXX is the school number) that a report was generated, if multiple files have been requested, or b) FILEID.xml, if a single file has been requested. From the Report Queue, it can be opened or saved in a location of the user's choosing for subsequent uploading to the ministry.
Each of the fields displayed in the output of the report is described below. See Understanding the Report Output Table for a definition of each column in the table.
The version of the batch file. Currently, the value is 1.0.
Document type. Currently, the value is 01.
Corresponds to the value entered by the user for File ID. Will be suffixed with the school number if the report is run at the District Office.
The date report was created, in YYYYMMDD format. System generated.
The time report was created, in HHMMSS format. System generated.
The school number.
[Schools]Alternate_School_Number or [Schools]School_Number where [Schools]Alternate_School_Number=0
Student’s legal surname.
[S_ON_STU_X]Legal_Last_Name or [Students]Last_Name where [S_ON_STU_X]Legal_Last_Name is null
The student’s legal first name.
[S_ON_STU_X]Legal_First_Name or [Students]First_Name where [S_ON_STU_X]Legal_First_Name is null
The student’s middle surname. Can be blank.
[S_ON_STU_X]Legal_Middle_Name or [Students]Middle_Name where [S_ON_STU_X]Legal_Middle_Name is null
The student’s preferred surname.
The student’s preferred first name.
The student’s preferred second name. Can be blank.
The student’s birthdate in YYYYMMDD format.
The student’s gender.
The student’s birth source document.
The student’s Ministry Identification Number.
The internal PowerSchool student ID, for cross-referencing in the returned Ministry file, to allow import.