This will create the MI Teacher Student Data Link (TSDL) export file. Use this to export out all information that is required for the Teacher Student Data Link submission to the state.
The TSDL collection is used to report links between students and the teacher(s) who provide instruction to them. Data reported in the collection reflect the student's performance in classes taken throughout the current academic year and the status of his/her academic report at the end of the school year.
Beginning in the 2014-15 school year, the TSDL Migrant Collection is an ongoing collection. Districts must submit student course data for migrant-eligible students within ten days of the student enrolling in the district and within ten days of the student exiting the district. Migrant-eligible students are reported to the Migrant Education Data System (MEDS) by districts' migrant liaisons. The MSDS receives nightly updates from MEDS indicating which students are migrant-eligible. MSDS system reports will be available when the collection opens to assist districts with this collection.
The Teacher Student Data Link collection must be run prior to completing the PowerSchool End of Year Process to ensure that students are reported in the proper grade and building. Additionally, the Teacher Student Data Link collection cannot be certified until after the EOY General Collection has been certified.
Refer to Michigan's CEPI website for information on the Teacher Student Data Link (TSDL) Collection.
If overrides are needed, the override options for this report are at the Course, Section, All Enrollment and Historical Grade (StoredGrades) levels. The rules are as follows
- Historical Grades (StoredGrades) overrides will supersede all other overrides with the following exception:
- If the All Enrollment is set to 'Exclude from TSDL' the section will not report in TSDL, unless there is a Historical Grade given for a dropped section.
- If there is a historical grade for a store code in a dropped section, the historical grade will report in the TSDL - New report.
- All Enrollment overrides will supersede Course and Section overrides.
- Section overrides supersede Course overrides.
- The Course fields do not override any other override that exists.
Beginning with the 2021-2022, a new Teacher Student Data Link (TSDL) report was created to address additional needs of the districts based on state changes in the report. The State now expects all students to be reported in the TSDL file. For the 2021-2022 year both the old MI Teacher Student Data Link (TSDL) report and the new MI Teacher Student Data Link (TSDL) report are available for districts to use. The new report includes the following updates:
Option to report multiple store codes in a single section.
Option to report remote enrollment courses.
Option to report Grade 30 students.
Allow additional Teacher of Records at the student level (All Enrollments screen).
Option to report historical grades on courses that are not in the student’s schedule.
Allow the option to report a completion status code on a dropped course with a historical grade instead of a withdrawal status code (i.e. credit recovery or virtual class that the student finishes before the end of term).
Selection criteria determine which database records are used in the report. Refer to the selection criteria for analysis when the report does not return the correct records.
Student records are selected based on the following criteria:
- The student is in Grade 0-12, Grade 30 or Grade 14 ([Students]Grade_Level).
- If the student is Grade 14 the Education Setting should be 14 ([S_MI_STU_GC_X]educSetting).
- If the student is Grade 30 the Education Setting should be 30 ([S_MI_STU_GC_X]educSetting).
- The student's Education Setting cannot be 20 ([S_MI_STU_GC_X]educSetting).
- The student is enrolled in one or more courses in the course selection that are set to be included in TSDL.
- The Exclude from Teacher Student Data Link is not selected in the School Info of the school the student is enrolled. The School Info Exclude from Teacher Student Data Link option ([schools.S_MI_SCH_TSDL_X]excludeTSDL) excludes the students enrolled in that school from the TSDL file. Remote enrolled courses for a student enrolled in a school that is included in TSDL will report in the TSDL file unless overrides are selected on the Course, Section or CC record.
- If students are elementary students and expecting to only report the Completion Status Code without a Grade, there must still be a reporting term set up in the Final Grade/Reporting Term Setup and that reporting term must match the start and end dates identified on the Term. There will be no stored grades, but the reporting term must be set up to identify which student sections are included. For example, creating a Y1 reporting term that has a Starting Date of 8/17/2022 and an Ending Date of 6/16/2023 when the 2022-2023 term date is 08/17/2022 - 06/16/2023 will generate the Teacher Student Data Link (TSDL) - New report for all of the students in year long sections.
- The Exclude from Teacher Student Data Link is not selected in the School Info. This option excludes the students enrolled in that school. Remote enrolled courses for a student enrolled in a school that is included in TSDL will report in the TSDL file unless overrides are selected on the Course, Section or CC record.
The student age limit of 21 is no longer applicable.
Course records are selected based on the following criteria:
The student has a section enrollment (CC record) in which they were enrolled based on the to and from dates used on the report or the Historical Grade that does not have a corresponding section enrollment (CC record) has a Course ID identified in the Michigan State Reporting section of the Historical Grade.
If the Historical Grade has been stored by the Permanently Stored Grade option, the Course ID cannot be changed in the Course ID of the Michigan State Reporting section and is greyed out.
- The Date Enrolled in the student's section enrollment (CC record) is less than the last day of the term for the section ([CC]DateEnrolled<[Terms]LastDay) or the Historical Grade that does not have a corresponding section enrollment (CC record) has a Term ID that has been defined in the Final Grades/Reporting Terms Setup.
- The Date Left in the student's section enrollment (CC record) is after the first day of the term for the section ([CC]DateLeft>[Terms]FirstDay) or the Historical Grade that does not have a corresponding section enrollment (CC record) has a Term ID that has been defined in the Final Grades/Reporting Terms Setup.
- The Exclude from TSDL report is not selected for Courses [S_MI_CRS_TSDL_X]excludeTSDL, or Sections[S_MI_SEC_TSDL_X]excludeTSDL), or section enrollment (CC record) [S_MI_CC_TSDL_X]excludeTSDL (Student > All Enrollments page). If the Teacher is excluded from TSDL [S_MI_SSF_TSDL_X]excludeTSDL, the course will still report in the TSDL file, but the teacher PIC will not appear in the file.
A Teacher PIC may not report on a student's course record for the following reasons:
- The Exclude from TSDL is selected on the Information page of a teacher [S_MI_SSF_TSDL_X]excludeTSDL.
- For Staff, each school the staff is affiliated with has a MI State Report Information section (found on the Information page). If a teacher moves from one school to another, the MI State Report Information needs to populated again for the new school.
For help with navigation and running the report, see How to Find and Generate a Report
Current Selection Students
Select whether to run the export file for the selected number of students or for all students.
|Report output file
|Select 'Submission file' to create the TSDL XML file to upload to MSDS or select 'Error report' to generate a CSV file with the state error codes.
Select whether to run the export file for migrant students or general students.
|Limit to Virtual, DE, EMC, AP, IB students
Select to limit the general collections to students in virtual, DE, EMC, AP, and IB courses (Applies only to General Collection)
The TSDL file must now include all students who have been identified in a General Collection, this option is left in place to help districts troubleshoot this group of students and to keep the code in place in case the state decides to revert back to the old rule of reporting only this group of students.
|Include Grade 30
|Select whether to run the export file with the Grade 30 students (Yes) or to exclude the Grade 30 students (No).
Elementary Ungraded Withdrawal
Select the value for the export file to use for elementary students that were withdrawn from a section and were also ungraded.
Entity Type Code
Select the entity type code.
Enter the entity code.
Reporting District's State Assigned 5-digit District Number
Enter the reporting district's state-assigned, 5-digit district number.
First Day of School
Enter the date of the first day of school.
Enter the date from (start date) for the date range.
Enter the date to (end date) for the date range.
Select schools to export.
Select which schools to export if applicable.
Schools that have been Exclude from Teacher Student Data Link reporting in School Info will not appear in list of schools to select.
Exclude Classes Days
Exclude student section enrollments where their enrollment in the section was less than the value entered.
File Report Output
Each of the fields displayed in the output of the report is described below. See Understanding the Report Output Table for a definition of each column in the table.
This contains the submitting entity type code value selected on the report interface.
This contains the submitting entity code value entered on the report interface.
This contains the student's Unique Identification Code (UIC).
This contains the student's last name.
This contains the student's first name.
This contains the student's middle name.
This contains the student's suffix.
This contains the student's date of birth.
This identifies the birth order of the student if the student is part of a multiple birth.
This contains the student's gender code.
Note: If the student's preferred gender is not M or F, the legal gender is reported.
This contains the Operating ISD/ESA number assigned to the district in which this student is enrolled.
This contains the operating district number value entered on the report interface.
This contains the school or facility number for the student's school.
This contains the PowerSchool student ID number.
This contains the grade level in which the student is enrolled.
This contains the school or relationship code (Educational Entity Master S2E2 code) for the student.
This is the five-digit code that represents the school or facility building where the student would otherwise attend as specified in Sec. 104b (16).
This contains the two-digit Subject Area Code.
Refer to the following link for additional information:
This contains the three-digit Course Identifier Code.
Refer to the following link for additional information:
This contains a combination of the course number, store code, whether the record was pulled from the CC table (CC) or the student's historical grades (HG), sectionID, expression (will be blank if there is only a historical grade and no CC record) and [Sections]Schoolid (will be blank if there is only a historical grade and no CC record).
The Schoolid is populated from the Sections table to allow remote enrollments to populate in a student's record, as a student's CC table schoolid and Students table schoolid are not the same in such cases.
This combination was developed to allow for more than one store code in a term (i.e. a year-long section that needs to report a Semester 1 and Semester 2 Grade). Additionally this combination can assist in troubleshooting issues with student records to identify exactly which section, term and grade are in error.
Courses without a Historical Grade:
[Courses]Course_Number ‘-‘ ([StoredGrades]StoreCode,[Termbins]StoreCode) ‘-CC-‘ [CC]SectionID ‘-‘ [Sections]Expression '-' [Sections]Schoolid
Courses with a Historical Grade:
([S_MI_SGR_TSDL_X]CourseID_TSDL,[Courses]Course_Number) ‘-‘ ([StoredGrades]StoreCode,[Termbins]StoreCode) ‘-SG-‘ [CC]SectionID ‘-‘ ([Sections]Expression,'') ‘-‘ ([Sections]schoolid,'')
This contains the course name for the course.
This contains the section number for the course the student was enrolled in.
[StoredGrades]SectionID or 'SG' + [StoredGrades]DCID
This characteristic is required when reporting migrant students by educating entities when
This contains the code that best represents the level and rigor of the course.
This contains the course funding program code.
Note: If Course and Section are set to blank this characteristic will not populate in the TSDL file.
This contains the academic year in which the student was enrolled in the course (e.g. 2010-2011) or if pulled from a stored grade without an associated CC record it is the selected option of the Academic Year in the Michigan State Reporting section of the student's Historical Grade.
This contains the number of credits granted to the student.
This contains the grade the student received for completing the course.
This contains the completion status code identifying the student's course completion status.
[S_MI_SGR_TSDL_X]completionStatus of the Michigan State Reporting section if the Course ID in the student's Historical Grades in the Michigan State Reporting section has been populated.
Calculated: There are many rules to the Completion Status, the rules are as follows:
The completion status is populated from the grade scale that is associated to the section enrollment when the following is true:
If the student's section enrollment DateLeft is less than the end date of the section term the 'TSDL Withdraw Status' associated to the grade in the grade scale will be the completion status populated.
If the student's section enrollment DateLeft is after the end date of the section term the 'TSDL Completion Status' associated to the grade in the grade scale will be the completion status populated.
If the student's section enrollment DateLeft is less than the end date of the section term and there is no stored grade associated to the section enrollment the completion status will be 'WE' unless the Course ID in the Michigan State Reporting section in Historical Grades is populated.
If the Course ID in the Michigan State Reporting section is populated the Completion Status will be the selected option in the Completion Status [S_MI_SGR_TSDL_X]completionStatus of the Michigan State Reporting section in Historical Grades.
If the student is in grade level KG(0) - 8 and there is no stored grade, or Course ID in the Michigan State Reporting section of the student's Historical grades, then the completion status will default to 'CP' and will need to be changed in the Student All Enrollments page if another status is needed.
If the student's Student Grade or Setting is 14 and there is no stored grade associated to the course, and the Course Subject Area Code is 23 and the course Identifier Code is 012, the completion status will default to 'CS'.
If there is no completion status on a section enrollment, the most likely reason is because the student is in grade level 9-12 and the section enrollment does not have a stored grade, or the stored grade is blank or an invalid grade not in the associated grade scale.
OR if overriding the Completion Status Calculation: [S_MI_CC_TSDL_X]completionStatus
The number of clock hours to date that the student has completed must be reported. This characteristic is required for migrant students whose courses have not been completed (or credit granted). This characteristic will not report for the General TSDL.
This characteristic will not report in the file if the course has a Completion Status of “CP”, “CF”, “ER”, “OE” or “CS”.
This contains the college credits.
This contains the Personnel Identification Code (PIC), as assigned in the Registry of Educational Personnel (REP), for each teacher responsible for some or all of the instruction of this course.
[S_MI_SGR_TSDL_X]repPIC1 or [S_MI_SSF_TSDL_X]repPIC
[S_MI_SGR_TSDL_X]repPIC2 or [S_MI_CC_TSDL_X]repPIC2 or [S_MI_SEC_TSDL_X]coTeacher1
[S_MI_SGR_TSDL_X]repPIC3 or [S_MI_CC_TSDL_X]repPIC3 or [S_MI_SEC_TSDL_X]coTeacher2
This identifies the virtual delivery method of the section.
This contains the Personnel Identification Code (PIC), as assigned in the Registry of Educational Personnel (REP), for each teacher responsible for mentoring this course.
[S_MI_SGR_TSDL_X]vmPIC1 or [S_MI_SEC_TSDL_X]mentorTeacher1
[S_MI_SGR_TSDL_X]vmPIC2 or [S_MI_SEC_TSDL_X]or mentorTeacher2
[S_MI_SGR_TSDL_X]vmPIC3 or [S_MI_SEC_TSDL_X]mentorTeacher3