Use this extract to collect the courses taken by students in your district and submit the data to the state. Classes in which the student was enrolled for less than the specified number of days are excluded from the report.
Prior to creating the SIMS Student Course Schedule (SCS) Schedule extract, you must complete the following:
- Complete the Years and Terms Mapping interface to map the local Term IDs to the state-required Term IDs for each school in your district prior. You can find this option on via Start Page > District Setup > Schools/School Info > Edit School. Scroll to page in the Massachusetts State Information area at the bottom of the page. Refer to the District Setup section above for more information. For example: For the 2010-2011 school year, the Term "2010-2011 School Year" must be mapped to the state-assigned term, "Full School Year (FULL) (01)". You must enter a record to designate the state assigned Term Code to extract for that term.
- Map your letter grades to the state-defined numeric codes. Refer to Massachusetts State Information > SCS Grade Scale Mapping in the District Setup section for more information.
Selection criteria determine which database records are used in the report. Refer to selection criteria for analysis when the report does not return the correct records.
Student Record Selection
The report selects records from the Students, CC and Section tables based on the following criteria:
- The student must not be not excluded from state reporting.
- The student must be enrolled in the district or current school during the report date range.
- The student’s school enrollment record must not be excluded from state reporting.
- The course or section must not be excluded from state reporting.
- The student’s course enrollment record must not be excluded from state reporting.
SCS03 - School ID Selection (in hierarchical order)
- Sections -> School Identification Number (8 characters)
- Courses -> School Identification Number (8 characters)
- If Schools/Schools Info -> EPIMS School Code (4 characters) is populated then precede it with the District Code, determined by fields in the following order:
- SubDistrict District Number (4 characters)
- District Info Page -> EPIMS District Code (4 characters)
- District Info Page -> District Number (4 characters)
- Schools/Schools Info -> Alternate School Number (8 characters)
- Schools/Schools Info -> School Number (8 characters)
For help with navigation and running the report, see How to Find and Generate a Report.
Choose one of the following from the pop-up menu:
Students to Include
Indicate which students to include in the report by selecting one of the following options:
Note: If running the report for a single student, or group of students, select the students prior to running report.
Choose a time to run the report from the pop-up menu:
Enter a date using the format mm/dd/yyyy or mm-dd-yyyy in order to run the report on a specific day. The incorrect format displays an alert and the date field is submitted as a blank entry.
Use the pop-up menus to schedule the report to be run at a specific hour and minute. Example: 7/29/2008 @ 10 AM : 05.
Select Schools to be Reported for one Sub District.
Select the schools you want to include in the extract for the sub district. Use this field only for Regional School Districts with Sub Districts. Select multiple schools using the command key.
Note: If your organization runs a single version of PowerSchool with multiple districts, you must use the Sub-district Configuration option to create the Regional School List displayed on this report interface page.
Report Start Date
Enter the Start Date of the enrollment period.
Report End Date
Enter the End Date of the enrollment period.
Enter the store code that indicates the final grade for classes
Enter the final grade code that identifies the final grade the student received for a class.
Exclude ALL classes enrolled for less than X days
Enter the number of days to use as the threshold for selecting classes to include in the extract. Any class that the student was enrolled for fewer days than the threshold is excluded from the extract.
Numeric Grades should be processed as percentages for SCS12 and SCS13
Choose Yes or No from the drop down menu.
Locally Assigned Student ID
The Locally Assigned Student ID. This field is extracted from the DOE001 field on the SIMS Data Elements page.
State Assigned Student Identifier
The State Assigned Student ID. This field is extracted from the DOE002 field on the SIMS Data Element page.
School Identification Number
If this is an on-line course section, this field contains the code identifying the level (PK-12 or college level) of the on-line course section from the School Identification Number field from either the Edit Section page, or if that field is blank, then Edit Course District Information page. Online courses will always start with “CLBR” as the first 4 letters of the code.
If this is not an on-line course section (the School Identification Number field does not contain an online course code at the section or course level), then the value is extracted as described in the [Table]FieldName column.
[CST_SUBDISTRICTS]SubDistrict_Number and [S_MA_SCH_X]OverrideSchoolCode or [Schools]Alternate_School_Number
[Prefs]value where [Prefs]name=MA_District_Num and [S_MA_SCH_X]OverrideSchoolCode or [Schools]Alternate_School_Number
[Prefs]value where [Prefs]name=districtnumber and [S_MA_SCH_X]OverrideSchoolCode or [Schools]Alternate_School_Number
Local Course Code
The course number. This value is extracted from the Edit Course District Information page.
Subject Area Course
The state-defined subject area to which this course belongs. This value is extracted from the Edit Course District Information page.
The number of the class section in which this student was enrolled. This value is extracted from the Edit Section page.
The code identifying the term in which this course section was offered. This value is extracted from the Edit Section page.
Course Enrollment Status
The student’s status in the course section. This value is extracted from the Course Enrollment Status field on the Edit Enrolment Record page (Start Page > Student > All Enrollments) if the value is 04 or 05.
If the Course Enrollment Status field is blank, then the value is calculated as follows:
If the Date Left is before the report end date, then 01 (Enrolled) is extracted.
If the Term ID is negative (the student dropped the course), then 02 (Withdrawn) is extracted.
If the Date Left is after the report end date, then 03 (Completed) is extracted.
If the Course Enrollment Status field is not blank, [S_MA_CC_SCS_X] OverrideCourseEnrollStatus
If the Course Enrollment Status is blank, this field value is calculated using these fields:
The code identifying the level of this course. If the Course Level field is blank on the Edit Section page, then this field value defaults to 02 (General).
[S_MA_CRS_X]CourseLevel or [S_MA_SEC_X]CourseLevel
Course Credit Available
The number of credits the student can earn for enrolling in and completing this course. This value is extracted from the Credit Hours field on the Edit Course District Information page.
5 with 2 decimal places
Course Credit Earned
The number of credits the student earned for meeting the objectives of the course. This value is extracted from the Edit Stored Grade page, Start Page > Student > Historical Grades > Edit Stored Grade.
5 with 2 decimal places
Course Letter Mark
The letter grade the student earned for course. This value is extracted from the Edit Stored Grade page, Start Page > Student > Historical Grades > Edit Stored Grade, and then converted to its corresponding state-defined numeric grade value. Grades must be mapped to their corresponding state-defined numeric grade value via Start Page > District Setup > SCS Grade Scale Mapping.
[StoredGrades]Grade or derived based on [S_MA_CRS_X]MarkNotRequired or
Course Numeric Mark
The numeric grade the student earned for this course. This value is extracted from the Edit Stored Grade page, Start Page > Student > Historical Grades > Edit Stored Grade.
[StoredGrades]Percent or derived from
Extracts the pathway course value. This is available is only available for the 2020-2021 school year.
Non Pathways Course (00)